Highlights, July 2016
|MARK YOUR CALENDAR - Independence Day in Scottsville, 04 July 2016:
Fourth of July Parade in Scottsville
The Fourth of July is a day for family fun, and Scottsville is once again the place to be. This holiday falls on Monday this year, and by 8 a.m., festive crowds will begin forming on the Museum's front lawn to be ready for the parade that starts down Valley and Main Streets at 9 a.m.
Please join us to watch the Scottsville Volunteer Fire Department's parade which will proceed from James River Road (east) down Valley Street (Route 20) to East Main Street (Route 6). These streets will be closed from 8:45 a.m. until approximately 10:30 a.m.
Street and Road Closure Information: There will be no parking on Harrison Street from 6:00 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. Any vehicles parked on
Harrison Street during this time will be towed. Starting at 7:30 a.m., James River Road between Blenheim Road an Valley Street will
be limited to parade traffic only. Traffic on James River Road will flow from Blenheim Road towards Valley Street. Starting at 9:00 a.m.,
the following roads will be closed to traffic:
After the parade, vendors will be available all day at Dorrier Park. The annual fireworks display in Scottsville begins at dusk at Dorrier Park.
The Museum will be open from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. on 4 July. Do plan to come to Scottsville and join this annual and very fun celebration of our country's independence!
Highlights, June 2016
|MARK YOUR CALENDAR - Batteau Night in Scottsville, 22 June 2016:
Lady's Slipper Arriving in Scottsville
The 31st Annual James River Batteau Festival begins on Saturday, June 18, and runs through Saturday, June 22. This festival features authentic replicas of the sleek, shallow-draft merchant boats which were used during the late 1700's to transport tobacco, grain, and other goods on the James River from areas of central Virginia. Each year a small fleet of batteau travel 120 miles from Lynchburg to Richmond, stopping mid-way in Scottsville for music, fun, and festivities. Batteau will begin arriving in Scottsville in mid-afternoon on Wednesday, 22 June, and tie up at Scottsville's Ferry Street public boat landing. Visitors can also stroll along the levee by the James River in Scottsville while waiting for the batteau to arrive.
Do join us in Scottsville on Wednesday to see these wonderful boats and their enthusiastic crews in full costume. Scottsville Museum will be open on Batteau Day from 1-8 pm. There will be food and craft vendors at Canal Basin Square on East Main Street between 2 pm - 7 pm.
Highlights, May 2016
Opening Day at Scottsville Creamery, 1910:
In the Fall of 1909, Samuel R. Gault, Scottsville's postmaster and a local farmer, concluded that a creamery might prosper in Scottsville. He incorporated a creamery in Scottsville with $5000 capital and appointed himself its general manager. To learn more about Scottsville Creamery and how the business fared, visit Opening Day at Scottsville Creamery, 1910.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR: What's happening at the Canal Warehouse? 07 May 2016
Highlights, April 2016
Condolences on the Passing of Raymond Thacker, 11 April 2016:
"We came to Scottsville when Raymon was 99, looking for the echoes of our family past. He was wonderful, giving us a tour of the Scottsville Museum, telling us about our tie in with the Barclay House and Sen.Thomas Staples, and how the Staples sisters were the ones who were the sisters on Walton's Mountain, making "Pappa's Recipe". He helped make some of our family history come alive for me with his knowledge and stories. I know from reading the Scottsville Museum Newsletter how instrumental he was in the work of the Museum, the government of Scottsville, and in preserving the history of the area. We know that our family member, Beverly, owned a mill west of town, was a trustee when the decision was made to build the church they attended, and that he lived at Spring Hill Farm, west of town, during the Civil War. Scottsville, I am sure, was at a center of much of his parents' lives and his families' lives. Raymon helped us understand that. I just wanted to share again, my appreciation for Raymon. He was a marvelous representative of Scottsville!" Kathy Herrick, The Villages, FL.
Museum's Spring Opening Reception, 03 April 2016:
Dr. William Trout and Nancy Koenig discuss batteau history on the Museum's front steps.
Scottsville Museum reopened for the 2016 season on Sunday, April 03, with its current exhibit, "Where the River Bends: Scottsville on the James.". The opening program featured a new display with two large pieces of a mid-19th century batteau/canal boat discovered in the Rappannock River and now on loan to the Museum from Fauquier History Museum in Warrenton. Dr. William Trout of the Virginia Navigation and Canal Society of Virginia provided an interesting explanation of this batteau's history and the construction differences between it and the James River batteau.
Also featured in the opening program was the "Mystery Painting" by Scottsville artist, Elias Kanarek, of Eddie Rickenbacker and two of his crewmen in a life raft after their plane crashed during World War II. Ruth Klippstein spoke on the most interesting results of her research on this Museum artifact. President Evelyn Edson spoke about the restoration and history of Mary Browne Bruce's dress which she wore at the 1910 wedding of Scottsville High School's Principal, William Day Smith, and Annie Parker Harris. The expert restoration of this dress was accomplished by Museum volunteer, Miranda Burnett. To conclude the Spring Opening, delicious punch and pastries from Crust and Crumb were served to all attendees!
To see more photos of this opening program, visit Spring Opening 2016.
Scottsville Museum will be open from now through October, Saturdays from 10 am to 5 pm and Sundays from 1-5 pm. It will also be open on Memorial Day, Batteau Day (June 22), and July 4th, or by appointment. Our current exhibit, "Where The River Bends," describes Scottsville's relationship with the James River. Admission is free; donations are gratefully accepted.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR: Scottsville Museum Spring Opening, 03 April 2016:
On Sunday, 03 April, the Museum opens at 2:00 pm. Admission is free, and refreshments will be served! We look forward to seeing you at the Museum!
Highlights, March 2016
Barclay Window Restoration, 31 March 2016:
Rappahannock Batteau Artifact Arrives, 24 March 2016
Assisting Museum President Evelyn Edson with the placement of these two batteau pieces in our canal display were Dr. William "Bill" Trout and Philip de Vos of the Virginia Canal and Navigations Society (VC&NS). Dr. Trout advised that this batteau is a descendant of the original James River Batteau type, adapted for navigation on the Rappahannock River, which had locks and dams and deep, flat water, unlike the more turbulent James. The sides of this batteau are higher, with an additional upper bench which served as the walkboard for poling. The Rappahannock had no towpath, and so the boat was poled, as on the James.
These batteau artifacts will be on display at Scottsville Museum during the 2016 season. To see these batteau parts and learn more about this 1849 batteau, visit Scottsville Museum on Opening Day, 03 April, when they will be on display for the first time.
Docent Reception, 13 March 2016:
Each year over forty volunteers volunteer their time each month to serve as docents at the Museum. Our docents' donation of time allows the Museum to continue our free admission policy for the public from April through October each year. If you would like to become a Museum docent, please call Scottsville Museum (434-286-2247) or contact us via e-mail at: email@example.com.
Highlights, February 2016
Tribute to A. Raymon Thacker, 21 February 2016:
Funeral Services will be conducted at 2 p.m. on Friday, February 26, 2016, in the chapel of Thacker Brothers Funeral Home, Scottsville, by Rev. Peter Way and Rev. James Jetton. Internment with Masonic Rites will follow in the Scottsville Cemetery.
Raymon and his brother, Homer, operated Thacker Brothers Funeral Home in Scottsville for 57 years. Raymon also served on the Scottsville Town Council for 6 years before being elected Mayor of Scottsville, a position he held for 30 1/2 years. As Scottsville's Mayor, he organized its Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad, and the local Lions' Club. Raymon's legacy as the town's longest-serving mayor includes building a modern public water and sewage system in Scottsville; extending the town's boundaries so it continues to change and grow; and being the inspiration and persistence behind building the A. Raymon Thacker Levee that was dedicated in 1990. Since 1990, Scottsville has not been flooded, thanks to the Thacker Levee.
Raymon also worked with the Tompkins family to acquire the old Disciples of Christ Church in Scottsville and immediately converted it to the Scottsville Museum and Historic Landmarks Foundation. Working with Virginia Moore and Robert Walls, Raymon turned the old church into a wonderful Museum of Scottsville's history, dedicating the Museum in 1970. He served on the Museum's Board of Trustees from 1970 until his passing. Raymon's memory of Scottsville citizens and local events was remarkable, and he was always available to provide local history information including historical photos of Scottsville and its citizens. Thank you, Raymon, for your vision and stellar efforts to preserve the historic heritage of Scottsville!
To read a very caring article about Mr. Thacker by Ruth Klippstein and see additional photos, visit A. Raymon Thacker, Scottville's Mayor Emeritus.
Resolution of the Board of Trustees, Scottsville Museum
Whereas, A. Raymon Thacker was one of the founders of the Scottsville Museum, and whose vision for our town included the preservation of its historic heritage;
And, whereas, he acted as a great resource for our historical collections, passing onto the Museum countless priceless objects and photographs;
And, whereas, he was ever willing to participate in oral history events, recalling the past century of his life in Scottsville;
And, whereas, he remained a member of the Museum Board up until the date of his passing,
Be it resolved, that the members of the Scottsville Museum Board, undersigned, do honor his memory with gratitude for his many contributions and continued good will.
Yesteryears: Mystery Painting at the Museum, 13 February 2016:
During World War II, Rickenbacker and two airmen were involved in an airplane crash and wound up floating on rafts in the Pacific Ocean for three weeks. He an his crew survived by eating fish and drinking rainwater, until rescued. And one day a seagull came along and landed on Rickenbacker's head.
To learn more about this painting, Rickenbacker's memory of the seagull, and Mr. Kanarek, read the first part of David Maurer's article in The Daily Progress, dated 13 February 2016 and entitled, "Yesteryears: Mystery Painting, Part I".
The second part of David's article in The Daily Progress, dated 20 February 2016, may be read at "Yesteryears: Mystery Painting, Part II"
Feedback from Museum Fans:
Highlights, January 2016
|The Building Tells Us What to Do, 30 January 2016:
The Warehouse was built between 1836 and 1844 to hold farm goods waiting to be loaded onto boats on the James River and Kanawha Canal or to receive manufactured goods on the canal for eventual shipment to the Shenandoah Valley via wagon trains from Scottsville. Timbers are massive on each of the Warehouse's three floors and basement, and walls of the building are constructed of locally-made bricks that are 18 inches thick. This brick is set in English bond with many patches showing different colors of brick and mortar joints. The gambrel roof has four dormers to the west as shown in the photo above.
This presentation by the Neighbors Construction team was sponsored by Scottsville Museum and Town of Scottsville's Architectural Review Board. To see some wonderful photos of this presentation by Eduardo Montes-Bradley, visit"Canal Warehouse Restoration."
Salute to Samuel Earl Newton, Museum Volunteer and WWII Historian, 26 January 2016
In his retirement, Earl was an active member of the All-American Honor Guard (AAHG) of Charlottesville and the Scottsville Museum. He was a huge supporter of the Museum's popular WWII exhibit, "Small Town, Big War." Earl loaned the Museum his substantive collection of WWII artifacts that belonged to his maternal ancestor, Raymond Gentry, as well as artifacts that Earl personally collected as a member of AAHG. Earl's collection added many historically fascinating relics from the War to the Museum's displays as well as important WWII teaching points for the exhibit's visitors.
Additionally, Earl was the driving force behind the Veterans' Appreciation Weekend in October 2007 that was cosponsored by Scottsville Museum and AAHG. During the weekend, a living history program was featured at Canal Basin Square (CBS) with period displays from almost every era in U.S. military history from Jamestown through WWII. Over one thousand visitors attended this powerful salute to all veterans and learned more about U.S. military history. Shown at left above is a photo of Earl in naval uniform as he smiled broadly with all of the history education going on about him at CBS. Earl was a remarkable leader and a friend who was always willing to help.
Thank you, Earl, for all you did for history education and for the Scottsville community. Our condolences go out to Earl's beloved wife, Gloria; their two daughters, Heather and Erica and their families; and to Earl's parents, siblings, and many friends. A funeral service will be held at 2:00 PM, Saturday, January 30, 2016, at Antioch Baptist Church (4422 Antioch Road, Scottsville, VA 24590). Internment will follow in the church cemetery.
"The Building Tells Us What To Do," 30 January 2016
What's happening at the Canal Warehouse? Join us on Saturday, January 30, at 2 p.m. when Walter Neighbors and his crew will put on a demonstration of the techniques and tools they are using to restore this historic building in Scottsville. The program will be held at the old Dollar Store on Valley Street. Entitled "The Building Tells Us What To Do," the presentation will discuss the processes of finding and working with traditional tools and materials. The program is sponsored by the Scottsville Museum and the Town of Scottsville's Architectural Review Board.
Restoring an old building presents many challenges. The Neighbors Construction Company has had to rediscover old methods of constrution and build its own tools. Among the processes on view will be assembling the copper gutter trough, restoring windows, fabricating a metal cutter and cutting a section of exterior crown molding, and removing loose mortar and pointing the brick walls with a special formula. Tools originally used to perform these jobs will be on display.
Walter Neighbors has spent his career working in historic restoration in Richmond and the Washington, DC area. Back home now in Buckingham County, he has taken on the daunting project of restoring the Canal Warehouse, originally constructed around 1844. After the demise of the canal in 1880, the warehouse was used for many other purposes, including as an antique store, residential apartments, and storage. Older residents remember fondly the Saturday dances once held in its spacious interior. Fires, floods, decay, and neglect have taken their toll, but the more he studies the building, the more admiration he has for its original design and construction, says Mr. Neighbors.
What will happen to this warehouse when its restoration is finished? Neighbors says he has no idea, but it is simply doing the best job he can to bring it back to life. Come and see what's going on. Admission is free, and all are welcome!
For more information, please call Evelyn Edson at 434-286-3466.
Highlights, December 2015
Christmas in Scottsville, 2015: Scottsville Festival of Lights, 10-13 December 2015: Thursday, Dec. 10: Silent Auction and Reception, 6-8pm The Scottsville Sun Online, 01 December 2015:
Christmas in Scottsville, 2015:
Scottsville Festival of Lights, 10-13 December 2015:
Thursday, Dec. 10: Silent Auction and Reception, 6-8pm
The Scottsville Sun Online, 01 December 2015:
The Scottsville Sun was organized in October 1951, thanks to the efforts of Scottsville's Lions Club, and was published by the Amherst Publishing Company. The newspaper's first editor was J. Bernard McDearman, and its first managing editor was Elizabeth Wimer. As a newspaper dedicated to serving the Scottsville community living in Albemarle, Fluvanna, and Buckingham counties, the Scottsville Sun covered local news and events in addition to publishing columns on subjects ranging from politics, to farming techniques, to housekeeping advice. This newspaper maintained a circulation of roughly 500 to 1000 readers, and was active from 1951 into the 1960's.
Kudos to Nicole for her excellent internship product, and special thanks to UVA's Music Library which allowed Nicole to use their large format scanner to complete our project! To learn more about this project and view scanned images of these newspapers, please visit: The Scottsville Sun.
|Highlights, November 2015|
Local Time: The Ups and Downs of Running a Small-Town Museum
Check this out, Scottsville! Thanks to the American Historical Association for sharing this feature article in the November 2015 issue of Perspectives on History. In this article, Evelyn Edson, President of Scottsville Museum, discusses the joys and challenges of running a small-town museum.
"As a historian of medieval cartography, I thought the last thing I would ever do was get involved with the local museum in my town, Scottsville, Virginia. Many small towns have one: a museum of local history founded by patriotic citizens and run on a shoestring by a legion of unpaid volunteers. Having studiously avoided American history in college and graduate school, I knew myself to be supremely unqualified. But my neighbors felt differently..."
To read more of this article by Evelyn, visit:
A Scottsville Leader: Virginia McCraw Lumpkin
To read more about Virginia Lumpkin and her leadership in Scottsville, visit Virginia Mcraw Lumpkin.
Museum's 2016 Membership Drive:
Online Donations: If you would like to donate to Scottsville Museum online, using Paypal or a credit card, please click on the 'Donate' button below:
Highlights, October 2015
Photos from October's Twilight Tours Through Scottsville History, 24-25 October 2015 History came alive on the streets of Scottsville during this past October weekend with the Museum's very successful Twilight Tours
through Scottsville History. Attendees of the 2015 Twilight Tours on 24-25 October saw notable places in Scottsville and listened to the
stories of local people brought to life from the pages of our history. Participants in each Twilight tour met Anne Cox Scott, wife of
Scottsville's founder, Edward Scott; Randolph Jefferson, owner of Snowden plantation and brother of Thomas Jefferson; Lt. Richardson Mallet,
a Confederate soldier assigned to picket duty during the Civil War; Ella Rush, an emancipated freedwoman after the Civil War, who lived near Esmont;
President Teddy Roosevelt, who used his rustic cottage at Pine Knot as a getaway for his family and himself from 1905-1908; Frances Farrish Butler, who
farmed her brother's Buckingham farm while he and her husband served nearly 5 years in the U.S. Army during World War II; and Anna Anderson Manahan, who lived
at Fair View Farm near Scottsville and believed she was the Grand Dutchess Anastasia Romanov. Actors reenacting individuals from Scottsville's rich history included: Ruth Klippstein as Anne Cox Scott; Kit Decker as
Randolph Jefferson; Kate and Liam Decker as Randolph Johnson's children; John Settle as Lt. Richardson Mallet; Kathy Cumisky as
Ella Rush; Ralph Lewis as President Teddy Roosevelt; Miranda Burnett as Frances Farrish Butler; and Terri Long as Anna Manahan aka
Anastasia. To see additional photos of Twilight Tours reenactors and guides, visit
History came alive on the streets of Scottsville during this past October weekend with the Museum's very successful Twilight Tours through Scottsville History. Attendees of the 2015 Twilight Tours on 24-25 October saw notable places in Scottsville and listened to the stories of local people brought to life from the pages of our history. Participants in each Twilight tour met Anne Cox Scott, wife of Scottsville's founder, Edward Scott; Randolph Jefferson, owner of Snowden plantation and brother of Thomas Jefferson; Lt. Richardson Mallet, a Confederate soldier assigned to picket duty during the Civil War; Ella Rush, an emancipated freedwoman after the Civil War, who lived near Esmont; President Teddy Roosevelt, who used his rustic cottage at Pine Knot as a getaway for his family and himself from 1905-1908; Frances Farrish Butler, who farmed her brother's Buckingham farm while he and her husband served nearly 5 years in the U.S. Army during World War II; and Anna Anderson Manahan, who lived at Fair View Farm near Scottsville and believed she was the Grand Dutchess Anastasia Romanov.
Actors reenacting individuals from Scottsville's rich history included: Ruth Klippstein as Anne Cox Scott; Kit Decker as Randolph Jefferson; Kate and Liam Decker as Randolph Johnson's children; John Settle as Lt. Richardson Mallet; Kathy Cumisky as Ella Rush; Ralph Lewis as President Teddy Roosevelt; Miranda Burnett as Frances Farrish Butler; and Terri Long as Anna Manahan aka Anastasia.
To see additional photos of Twilight Tours reenactors and guides, visitTwilight Tours 2015.
Created and organized by Museum volunteer, Miranda Burnett, the 2015 Tour provided a wonderful re-enactment of some chapters of our rich town history. Our guides for the Twilight Tours were Shannon Bittner, Museum Docent; Barry Grove, Mayor of Scottsville; B. Maxwell, History Teacher; and Irene Ballowe, Museum Docent. Security for the Tours was provided by Jack Maxwell, and all Twilight Tour artwork was by Elisha Courts.
Feedback from Museum Fans:
Tours depart every 20 minutes from the Scottsville Museum and last approximately an hour. Ticket prices are $5.00 and proceeds go to the Scottsville Museum, a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of Scottsville's history.
Salute to William Schneider, Museum Volunteer and Oral Historian, 07 October 2015:
Bill was a most positive member of the Museum's volunteer team, and it was always a pleasure to work with him on our history preservation mission. Thank you, Bill, for your inspiration and support to the Scottsville community. Our condolences go out to his two sons, Frederick Schneider of Charlottesville and James Schneider of Scottsville.
Highlights, September 2015
Descendant of Theodore Little Visits Museum, 10 September 2015:
Next Museum staff drove Sue to the location on East Main Street where Theodore and his family lived in a boarding house at the time of the 1860 census of Scottsville. Additionally, Sue was shown Lot 134 just north of the old livery stable at the corner of Valley and Main Street. This lot was owned by Theodore's brother, Charles, and part of it became a blacksmith shop where Charles worked with G.W. Coleman. Sue also was shown the property Charles Little owned and sold to the Scottsville Presbyterian Church in 1864 for the purpose of it becoming a cemetery, now known as Scottsville Cemetery.
During her Museum visit, Sue also met with Jack Hamner (shown in photo at right), who had helped her locate and purchase an original Little's White Oil bottle via eBay a few weeks earlier. In the photo, Sue and Jack each held a Little's White Oil bottle and were clearly thrilled that these original artifacts once contained liniment created by Sue's ancestor. Jack also shared copies with Sue and the Museum of the original directions for use of this liniment which Theodore Little packed with each bottle. Included with the directions were several most positive testimonials from Theodore's liniment customers, who clearly found his liniment helpful with the muscular aches and pains of both animals and humans.
To learn more about the Little family and their White Oil liniment, visit Little's White Oil.
Highlights, August 2015
History of Little's White Oil, 17 August 2015:
In 2004, an archaeological team, conducting an excavation in Bowen's Prairie, IA, unearthed the fragments of an old glass bottle, which contained an embossed label reading, "Little's White Oil, Scottsville, VA." The archaeologists quickly contacted Scottsville Museum in hopes of learning more information about the contents and purpose of this bottle. At that time, Jack Hamner of the Museum Board identified an intact Little's White Oil bottle (see above) with accompanying directions for its successful use as a liniment for both animals and humans.
Earlier this month, Sue Brickley of Bloomington, MN, contacted Scottsville Museum to tell us more of the story behind Little's White Oil. Sue is the great great granddaughter of Theodore Wallis Little, who compounded and patented this liniment in the 1830's. Theodore moved from Wayne County, NY, to Scottsville in 1842 and established a drug business with his brother, Charles Ebenezer Little. Together the two brothers manufactured and marketed this liniment in 23 states (mostly Southern states) between 1842-1866. In 1866, having lost a small fortune due to the Civil War, Theodore and his family moved from Scottsville to Bowens Prairie, IA, where his parents had lived since 1848. For the trip to Iowa, Theodore transported the family's few remaining possessions, including some bottles of Little's White Oil in a wagon. Thus the likely source of the Little White Oil bottle fragments, discovered in the Bowen's Prairie dig in 2004, was the Theodore Little family. Thank you, Sue Brickley, Jack Hamner, and Richard Nicholas, for helping the Museum piece together the answer to the mystery of the Little's White Oil bottle fragments!
To learn more about the Little family and their White Oil liniment, visit Little's White Oil.
Scottsville Civil War Soldier Featured on Wisconsin TV News, 09 April 2015:
Featured in this news story was John's great, great granddaughter, Sara Dickerson Thielen, who conducted much of the research on him and his his brothers in the Civil War. To learn more about Sara's Civil War research results on John and his brother, William, in the Civil War, visit: Eau Claire Family Remembers Civil War Battle of 2 Brothers.
Business Ledgers of Scottsville Area, 1817 - 1926:
New Educational Activities For Kids: To explore these new educational activities for kids, please visit
New Educational Activities For Kids:
To explore these new educational activities for kids, please visitMore Activities.
To view calendar events for the 2016 season, visitCalendar.
|Home Exhibits About Visiting News Our History Archive For Kids Contact Your help Search|